diy faux ceramic ring cones
as you can tell from the photos, i have a lot of rings.
so making myself some ring cones seemed like the courteous thing to do for my husband who shares a bathroom with me. after doing the faux speckled candles, i knew i wanted to use that painting technique again soon — and well, here we are.
these are so easy to make and i like them looking a little wonky – therefore more handmade.
- polymer clay
- acrylic paint
- clear glaze
- a bigger paintbrush
- a tiny paintbrush
01. condition your clay in your hands, roll into a ball.
02. roll out the clay to length-wise — and then roll it harder on one side to thin out one end.
03. once you’ve got your cone shape, fashion it into the shape you’re happy with. (i never use the word fashion and all i can think of is this when i say it) smooth it out with your fingers and test the top with a ring to make sure it’s thin enough.
04. bake according to your package directions. let cool.
05. paint with the acrylic paint (i painted all three cones totally differently than you see them here, but i kept repainting over and over). i went with a pale peach, white and a blue-ish grey combo. let dry.
06. using the same technique as the candles, slowly paint varying splatters around the cones. let dry.
07. finish with the glaze, it gives it a nice ceramic gloss.
MOLLY! These are too cute. I actually just bought tons of polymer clay to mess around with. This might be the first thing I do with it. I wonder if I could make one for my bracelets….would it bake correctly if it was that thick, I wonder.
thanks emily! yeah, you can bake for a much longer time — or you could always use air dry clay!
If you haven’t already tried it, you can also bake polymer clay around an aluminum foil form. It saves on clay and lessens baking time!
What a great creative idea! Thanks!!
So fun! I made these too actually http://www.heyeep.com/2015/01/DIY-ring-dish-modern-cone.html great easy project. The ring cone I wanted from Bailey Doesn’t Bark was sold out, so I used air-dry clay to make my own. LOVE your speckled look 🙂 xoxox
They are really cute! I love your rings as well; they are all very lovely!
I can’t wait to make this! What glaze did you use?
sorry! the link is updated for the glaze!
Super adorable. Love those Dalmatian spots!
What kind of glaze was it? The link doesnt work. Thanks! Great project!
I love this idea. What a cool and stylish way to display your rings!
I made these today, but I couldn’t find any clear glaze when I went to Michael’s… What kind of glaze are you using?
i updated the link! i bought it on amazon!
I think I like these better than just a jewelry box, very cute and creative! 🙂
These are amazing! After seeing all your work with polymer clay and making it look so sophisticated, I think I might just have to have a go at it! But seriously, keep it up.
Hi Molly, these are superb! Do you remember how much you had to use to make 2-3?