as you can tell from the photos, i have a lot of rings.
so making myself some ring cones seemed like the courteous thing to do for my husband who shares a bathroom with me. after doing the faux speckled candles, i knew i wanted to use that painting technique again soon — and well, here we are.
these are so easy to make and i like them looking a little wonky – therefore more handmade.
01. condition your clay in your hands, roll into a ball.
02. roll out the clay to length-wise — and then roll it harder on one side to thin out one end.
03. once you’ve got your cone shape, fashion it into the shape you’re happy with. (i never use the word fashion and all i can think of is this when i say it) smooth it out with your fingers and test the top with a ring to make sure it’s thin enough.
04. bake according to your package directions. let cool.
05. paint with the acrylic paint (i painted all three cones totally differently than you see them here, but i kept repainting over and over). i went with a pale peach, white and a blue-ish grey combo. let dry.
06. using the same technique as the candles, slowly paint varying splatters around the cones. let dry.
07. finish with the glaze, it gives it a nice ceramic gloss.